Many bicycle parking facilities at train stations and bus stops are overcrowded, exceeding their capacity. This makes it increasingly difficult to find a place to park one’s bike. Adding storage capacity is often a very costly task, therefore the Provincie Noord-Holland is looking for creative solutions to reduce bicycle parking pressure at train stations and other public transport stops.
We are looking for a way to reduce the number of bikes parked at stations and bus stops. This may involve smart shared bicycle concepts, or smart ways to make better use of existing storage space.
Possible technological trends are:
– Growth of sharing platforms;
– Growth of smartphone use and technical possibilities;
– Development of smart locks that can be remotely opened without a key;
– Improved GPS technology to determine the exact location of bicycles;
– The LORA network, enabling communication with very low energy consumption.